Blogger Layouts

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Proud as Punch! (whatever that means)

I thought a lot about how to teach my kids about the inauguration of our new president, and how to teach them about it on their level. I wanted to make it fun and meaningful because I think it was an important event that they should know about. I mean...he's the President of the United States for heaven sakes! They should know that! I showed them some pictures of our new President and his family. We also watch a small clip of President Obama taking the oath of office. Then I showed them pictures of the White House and the Oval Office. The kids were so attentive and really into it. Especially the part about the President having his own helicopter and airplane. They thought that was cool!

I also wanted them to know that this was a historic event because President Obama is the first African American president. Again, how to do this on a level they would understand. I had a picture of President Bush and President Obama shaking hands up on the screen. I asked the kids to look for differences between the two men. They came up with, "One looks older", "One is taller", "One has a longer coat", and "One is waving."" Not one child came up with the difference in skin color! It made me realize that children truly don't notice or really even care about the difference of skin color. I love that! My students are so pure and untouched by the worlds racial issues. This gives me hope! Maybe we have hope that in the future everyone will truly be treated equally. I pray nightly for my students. Maybe, I need to pray for the world that these kids will be going into.

2 comments:

Jill Sanders said...

I think it's great that you talked about this with them. We follow politics in our house (I think Coop knew who George W Bush was when he was barely two), so we've been talking about it a little but I'm sure you did much better!

tara poll said...

We follow politics at our house too, so my kids have known who President Obama is for quite a few months (my 3 year old calls him "A Rock Obama"). On Martin Luther King Day I was talking to them about Martin Luther King and President Obama, and realized that they did not know President Obama, or Martin Luther King, or our old neighbors were Africa American. To them, skin color does not define who someone is. Great lesson for the rest of the world!
Tara Poll
PS Cute Blog