Blogger Layouts

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Pumpkin Week

The tallest, widest, and smallest pumpkins!

Morning class


This week we have been working on measurement. We measured the height and weight of our pumpkins. The kids made pumpkin "belts" to measure the circumference of the pumpkin and made "towers" to measure the height. The kids loved it and it was so cute to watch them learn something new. We also talked about estimation. They estimated how many cubes high their pumpkins would be. I think we might need to work on that a little bit! :) Tomorrow we will try pumpkin seed and graph our favorite jack-o-lantern faces. The winning face will be carved in a gigantic pumpkin I bought this past weekend. That should be interesting. Did I mention that I love Halloween?!


Measuring with cubes

Making pumpkin belts


Measuring the circumference

A little off on our estimating!

4 comments:

Kim said...

Ms. Thomas,
I had a lot of fun working with our pumpkins!! I am excited to do more tomorrow!
Mercedes

Lexi said...

Carrie,
This is such a great idea! You are such an amazing teacher! When are we going to FrightMares??!! It is almost Halloween!! We are coming to Utah next weekend...Brent is blessing his baby. Wanta play sometime on Saturday night?

Kim said...

Ms. Thomas,
Happy Birthday!!!!
Mercedes

Lanna said...

I love it!!!